My partner’s wallet has been falling apart for a long time, and for some reason he has refused to get another one. The fake leather on it has worn down to the threads and it looks as if he is about to lose all of its contents at any given time.
So, me being stingy old me decided to make him a new one, rather than buy. I found a great tutorial over at Celebrate The Boy http://www.noodle-head.com/2011/03/celebrate-boy-tutorial-basic-boys.html
I had an old faux leather handbag that I liked, but the handles had unfortunately broken (I probably could have mended it easily, but cutting it up to make this was so much more fun hehe).
It’ my first time sewing with this type of fabric, and although it’s not perfect, I’m very happy with it (and what’s more important is that Michael is!). I have a few other old faux leather bags, so I might practice a little more.
I think this might be my new favourite upcycling project. What’s yours?
So, yesterday I thought I’d try something different. I’ve made dresses for my daughter, Olivia before from upcycled adult skirts (add some elastic and straps – easy), but I decided to try my hand at drawing up my own pattern and making a dress ‘the hard way’.
It took some trial and error. I’m glad I decided to make it with some old sheet fabric instead of my ‘pretty fabric’, as I really thought at one stage I was going to throw it on the floor and give up (for the record, sleeves are not my friend).
But after hours, and I mean hours of sewing, unpicking and getting frustrated, I finally have a dress that I’m (mostly) happy with. The sleeves come to just below Olivia’s elbows and the hemline is below her knees. Perfect for the oncoming cooler weather.
I think I have the dressmaking bug now though. I’ve been looking at a lot of tutorials lately, and I might even try my hand at a dress for myself sometime!
I found a fantastic tutorial over at Craftiness Is Not Optional. My daughter is forever undressing her Barbies and losing their clothes, and rather than be naked (or in the usual skimpy clothes) I decided to find a sweeter, classier alternative. And here it was – along with some other Barbie clothes tutorials I will be trying today – a few skirts, tops and a ball gown.
My dresses didn’t turn out the best, but hey, not bad for a first attempt.
They were so much fun to make, why not pop over to http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com/2010/08/barbie-dress-tutorial.html and make some yourself 🙂