My first attempt at dressmaking

So, yesterday I thought I’d try something different. I’ve made dresses for my daughter, Olivia before from upcycled adult skirts (add some elastic and straps – easy), but I decided to try my hand at drawing up my own pattern and making a dress ‘the hard way’.


It took some trial and error. I’m glad I decided to make it with some old sheet fabric instead of my ‘pretty fabric’, as I really thought at one stage I was going to throw it on the floor and give up (for the record, sleeves are not my friend).

But after hours, and I mean hours of sewing, unpicking and getting frustrated, I finally have a dress that I’m (mostly) happy with. The sleeves come to just below Olivia’s elbows and the hemline is below her knees. Perfect for the oncoming cooler weather.

I think I have the dressmaking bug now though. I’ve been looking at a lot of tutorials lately, and I might even try my hand at a dress for myself sometime!


3 thoughts on “My first attempt at dressmaking

  1. Pingback: Five New Blogs That Inspire Me to Create | Blue Car Painted Green

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s